تاريخ تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا

تاريخ تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا

تشارلستون ، مقر مقاطعة تشارلستون ، هي ثاني أكبر منطقة حضرية في ساوث كارولينا. تقع في المقام الأول بين نهري أشلي و كوبر. أعطى ميناء تشارلستون المدينة دورًا رئيسيًا في التاريخ البحري للولايات المتحدة ، وخاصة الحرب الأهلية ، وعندما أعيد تشارلز الثاني إلى عرش إنجلترا ، لم يكن قادرًا على مكافأة كل من كان مدينًا له بالمال. . في عام 1663 ، قدم ثمانية من الجنرالات السابقين ، الذين أصبحوا معروفين باسم Lords Proprietors ، لقب كارولينا. قدم دستور كارولينا الأساسي ، الذي كتبه الفيلسوف جون لوك في عام 1669 وصُمم على غرار كتابه "رسالة تتعلق بالتسامح" ، الأساس لحكومة كارولينا المبكرة. في عام 1670 ، وصل المستوطنون إلى نهر آشلي وأسسوا مستوطنة على الضفة الغربية ، التي أطلقوا عليها اسم تشارلز تاون تكريما لتشارلز الثاني. في العام التالي ، لتوفير دفاع أفضل ، نقلوا أنفسهم عبر النهر وأعيدوا بنائهم في طرف شبه الجزيرة بين نهري آشلي وكوبر. وفر الدستور الأساسي مناخًا من التسامح الذي أثر بشكل كبير على التطور المبكر لتشارلز تاون وأدى إلى الهجرة بواسطة مجموعات متنوعة مثل الهوغونوت الفرنسيين واليهود السفارديم. في عام 1718 ، أبحر بلاكبيرد إلى ميناء تشارلز تاون بأربع سفن واحتجز رهائن للحصول على فدية ، وأراد التاج البريطاني سيطرة أكبر على المستعمرة وفي عام 1720 أعاد تنظيمها كمستعمرة للتاج. في عام 1747 ، أبرمت المدينة صفقة مع هنود الشوكتو ، حيث تم تبادل حقوق التجارة مقابل اتفاقية من قبل الشوكتو لمهاجمة الفرنسيين. تم تنظيم جمعية مكتبة تشارلستون في عام 1749. ونظمت متحف تشارلستون في عام 1773 ، وهو أقدم متحف من هذا النوع في أمريكا . أعطت كلية تشارلستون فصولها الأولى في عام 1770 ، مما يجعلها أقدم كلية بلدية في أمريكا ، ولعب تشارلز تاون دورًا مهمًا خلال الثورة الأمريكية. تم اختيار هنري ميدلتون ، تشارليستون ، رئيسًا للمؤتمر القاري الأول عام 1774. كانت مزرعته ، ميدلتون بليس ، موطنًا لثلاثة أجيال أخرى من السياسيين البارزين في ساوث كارولينا ، وهي الآن معلم تاريخي وطني محفوظ بعناية. تم نقل عاصمة الولاية إلى كولومبيا في عام 1786 ، وتأسست جمعية الإصلاح للإسرائيليين في عام 1824 ، مما جعل تشارلستون مسقط رأس فرع الإصلاح اليهودي في أمريكا. أصبحت فيما بعد الجامعة الطبية في ساوث كارولينا. افتتحت القلعة ، الكلية العسكرية المدعومة من الدولة في ساوث كارولينا ، في عام 1842. تأسست مستشفى روبر ، أول مستشفى مجتمعي في كارولينا ، في عام 1850. لم تكن ردود الفعل على انتخاب أبراهام لنكولن في نوفمبر 1860 طويلة. في 20 كانون الأول (ديسمبر) ، أعلن اجتماع مؤتمر في تشارلستون أن ساوث كارولينا هي كومنولث مستقل ، وهو أول عمل انفصال من قبل أي دولة. غرقت الهونلي نفسها أثناء عودتها إلى الميناء ، وانتهت الحرب في تشارلستون رسميًا في 14 أبريل 1865 ، عندما تم رفع علم الاتحاد فوق حصن سمتر في الذكرى الرابعة لاستسلامه. على الرغم من أن تشارلستون تقع في أعماق الجنوب وتم وضع قوانين جيم كرو بعد إعادة الإعمار ، إلا أن المدينة اتبعت نهجًا معتدلًا وفقًا للمعايير المحلية. كان السود قادرين على المشاركة في سياسة تشارلستون والتصويت بحرية من الحرب العالمية الثانية فصاعدًا. اعترض قاضي تشارلستون ، ج. واتيس وارنج ، على قرار محكمة المقاطعة الفيدرالية بتأييد مبدأ "منفصل ولكن متساوٍ" في بريجز ضد إليوت في عام 1951. استشهدت المحكمة العليا الأمريكية برأيه المخالف عندما حكمت براون ضد مجلس التعليم في عام 1954 ، تم إنشاء متحف جيبس ​​للفنون تحت اسم جمعية كارولينا للفنون في عام 1858 ، وافتتح أبوابه للجمهور في عام 1905. جامعة تشارلستون الجنوبية ، التي تأسست عام 1964 ، مرتبطة باتفاقية ساوث كارولينا المعمدانية.


إذا وجدت نفسك تمشي على طول High Battery في وسط مدينة تشارلستون قرب نهاية شبه الجزيرة ، انظر إلى اليسار. هناك ، عند مصب ميناء تشارلستون ، سترى منارة بالأبيض والأسود لجزيرة سوليفان.

تم بناء منارة جزيرة سوليفان ، التي يعرفها السكان المحليون باسم تشارلستون لايت ، في أوائل الستينيات لتحل محل الضوء في جزيرة موريس ، التي كانت معرضة لخطر التآكل بسبب التآكل وتم ترميمها منذ ذلك الحين. لا يزال تشارلستون لايت منارة عاملة ، ويستمر في العمل كمنارة للترحيب بالسفن في ميناء تشارلستون.


تاريخ تشارلستون: ثقافة دائمة

نشأت مدينة تشارلستون عندما سميت على اسم الملك تشارلز الثاني ملك إنجلترا من قبل المستعمرين الإنجليز الذين وصلوا خلال ربيع عام 1670. كان لهذه المستعمرة التي تم إنشاؤها حديثًا الكثير من الأعداء الذين يجب مواجهتهم - الأسبان ، والفرنسيين ، والأمريكيين الأصليين ، وحتى قراصنة. بعد الثورة الأمريكية عام 1783 ، أصبح اسم المدينة تشارلستون ، والذي لا يزال قائما حتى اليوم.

ما الذي نتطلع إليه في تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا

هناك الكثير من الأشياء التي تحدث في تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا. بما يتناسب مع تصنيفها رقم 1 كأفضل مدينة في الولايات المتحدة الذي ورثته مجلة Travel + Leisure في عام 2019 ، هناك الكثير من مناطق الجذب السياحي الشهيرة التي يجب عليك زيارتها. سواء كان الأمر يتعلق بتذوق المأكولات الرائعة أو مشاهدة المنازل والشوارع الجميلة أو زيارة المتاحف ومصانع الجعة ، فإن تشارلستون لديها الكثير لتقدمه!

هذا معلم يجب أن تراه في تشارلستون! هذا لأنه صف جميل ومشرق من ثلاثة عشر منزلًا بلون الباستيل ، يشتهر بأنه أطول صف من منازل الصف الجورجية في الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية بأكملها!

هذا المنزل الذي تحول إلى متحف ، بصرف النظر عن الديكور والتصميم الفاخر ، يضم سلالم خالية من ثلاثة طوابق تتمتع بجمال معماري وسلامة هيكلية! تم بناء هذا المنزل عام 1808 ، ويحكي أيضًا قصة العبيد الذين عاشوا هناك من قبل.

زيارة هذا المتحف أقرب إلى إحياء تاريخ تشارلستون. هناك العديد من الأشياء الرائعة في هذا المكان ، وأحد هذه الأشياء هو الهيكل العظمي المعلق لحوت انتهى به المطاف في ميناء تشارلستون في القرن التاسع عشر.

تقع هذه المدينة عند مدخل ميناء تشارلستون. إذا كنت ترغب في الذهاب لمشاهدة معالم المدينة على الشواطئ في ساوث كارولينا ، فتأكد من زيارة هذا المكان الرائع! إن الأمواج الهادئة والهادئة والمشي في المسار الطبيعي والامتداد الواسع للرمال التي تنتظرك تجعل زيارة هذا المكان تستحق العناء!

إذا كنت في تشارلستون ، فتأكد من عدم تفويت هذا الشارع الصاخب! المساهمة في سحر الجنوب هو أهميتها المعمارية والتاريخية. المتاجر العديدة الموجودة على طول هذا الشارع تجعله جنة للمتسوقين. في الجزء العلوي من شارع الملك توجد مطاعم راقية.

إذا كنت ترغب في تجربة طعام جنوبية كاملة ، فقم بزيارة هذا المطعم! يتأكد المؤسس ، الشيف شون بروك ، من أن المكونات المستخدمة في الطهي تأتي من الجنوب فقط.

في حين أن هذه القائمة هي اقتراح للأماكن التي يجب عليك زيارتها أثناء تواجدك في تشارلستون ، ضع في اعتبارك أن تشارلستون كنز مليء بالمناطق السياحية. ولهذا السبب يجب عليك التحقق من المناطق الشهيرة الأخرى في هذه المدينة المحبوبة.

بعض التوافه حول تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا

سميت هذه المدينة باسم الملك تشارلز الثاني ملك إنجلترا عام 1670.

يطلق على تشارلستون اسم "المدينة المقدسة" بسبب أماكن العبادة العديدة التي أقيمت فوق المدينة.

بدأت الحرب الأهلية بإطلاق الطلقة الأولى على تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا.

أقيمت أول لعبة غولف رسمية للولايات المتحدة الأمريكية في تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا.

تم بناء أول متحف وكلية عامة ومنزل مسرحي في الولايات المتحدة بأكملها في تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا.

تشارلستون هو سابع أكبر ميناء للحاويات في الولايات المتحدة.

آمل أن يكون هذا قد ساعدك في التعرف على المزيد عن تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا.


لمحة عامة عن تاريخ تشارلستون S.C.

أعطى الملك تشارلز الثاني ملك إنجلترا إقليم كارولينا لثمانية أصدقاء مخلصين عُرفوا مجتمعين باسم & # 8220 مالك اللوردات & # 8221 في عام 1663. كانت أول مستوطنة لهم في كارولينا & # 8220 تشارلز تاون & # 8221 سمي على اسم الملك تشارلز الذي تم اختصاره لاحقًا إلى & # 8220تشارلستون& # 8221. تم إنشاء المجتمع في عام 1670 عبر نهر آشلي من موقع تشارلستون & # 8217 الحالي. تم اختيار الموقع من قبل أنتوني أشلي كوبر بمهمة أن يصبح & # 8220 مزدهرةمدينة الميناء”.

مرت التسوية الأولية بأوقات مضطربة مع اعتداءات دورية من قبل كل من إسبانيا وفرنسا اللتين تنازعتا مطالبة إنجلترا بالمنطقة. بالاقتران مع مقاومة الأمريكيين الأصليين وغارات القراصنة ، بنى المستعمرون جدارًا تحصينًا حول المستوطنة الأصلية. كل ما تبقى من الأصل & # 8220المدينة المسورة& # 8221 هو مبنى محفوظ يضم المستوطنة & # 8217s توريد البارود.

خطة لـ & # 8220مستوطنة جديدة& # 8221 وهو الموقع الحالي لـ & # 8220تشارلستون التاريخية& # 8221 في عام 1680 عند تطابق تدفق نهري آشلي وكوبر إلى المحيط الأطلسي. الأرض المحيطة بتقاطع & # 8220الاجتماع والشوارع الواسعة& # 8221 لساحة سيفيك سكوير. مع مرور الوقت أصبحت تعرف باسم & # 8220أربعة أركان القانون& # 8221 في إشارة إلى مختلف أذرع القانون الحكومي والديني التي سادت المدينة المتنامية.

العصر التالي لتشارلستون
سانت مايكل & # 8217s Episcopal ، أقدم كنيسة في تشارلستون تم بناؤها في عام 1752 وتم تشييد مبنى الكابيتول عبر الساحة في العام التالي. اجتمعت محكمة المقاطعة في الطابق الأرضي بينما كان مجلس العموم النيابي وغرفة مجلس الحاكم الملكي رقم 8217 في الطابق الثاني.

كان المستوطنون الأصليون في تشارلز تاون إنجليز. مع نمو تشارلستون ، أصبح مزيجًا من الجماعات العرقية والدينية. خلال هذا الوقت الاستعماري ، أصبحت بوسطن وتشارلستون مدينتين شقيقتين إلى حد ما حيث جعل الأثرياء بوسطن منزلهم الصيفي بينما أصبحت تشارلستون موطنهم الشتوي.

بدأت التجارة مع برمودا ومنطقة البحر الكاريبي مع وصول العديد من المهاجرين من تلك المناطق. تم نقل بعض الفرنسيين والاسكتلنديين والأيرلنديين والألمان إلى تشارلستون وجلبوا ديانات مختلفة بما في ذلك البروتستانت والكاثوليكية واليهودية إلى تشارلستون. تعاون أتباع تشارلستون السود الحر والعبيد السود لبناء & # 8220كنيسة بيثيل المتحدة الميثودية القديمة& # 8221 في 1797.

نمت تشارلستون لتصبح مركزًا تجاريًا صاخبًا للموانئ وأصبحت أغنى وأكبر مدينة جنوب فيلادلفيا وبحلول عام 1770 أصبحت رابع أكبر ميناء في المستعمرات بعد بوسطن ونيويورك وفيلادلفيا. كان عدد سكانها حوالي 11000 وكان أكثر من نصفهم من العبيد. أصبح الأرز والنيلي الزراعة الأساسية من قبل أصحاب المزارع الأثرياء ، كما جعل التصدير تشارلستون المركز الثقافي والاقتصادي للجنوب.

خلال هذه الفترة من الهجرة إلى بلد تشارلستون المنخفض ، الهجرة إلى & # 8220البلد& # 8221 من ولاية كارولينا كانت تجري أيضًا. جاء الكثير منها من الخارج عبر تشارلستون ، لكن العديد من المهاجرين الجدد جاءوا جنوباً من فيرجينيا وماريلاند وبنسلفانيا. في نهاية المطاف ، أصبح سكان المنطقة الشمالية أكبر من البلد الساحلي المنخفض المحيط بتشارلستون. مع اختلاف الخلفيات والثقافات والمصالح ، حدثت عدة أجيال من الصراعات بين & # 8220أقل مصقول& # 8221 up-States ونخبة تشارلستون.


إعلان الاستقلال
بدأت العلاقة بين المستعمرات وإنجلترا في التدهور. احتجاجًا على قانون الشاي لعام 1773 من قبل إنجلترا (ضرائب بدون تمثيل) ، صادر تشارلستون الشاي وخزنه في تشارلستون & # 8217s & # 8220بيت الصرف والجمارك& # 8221. اجتمع ممثلو المستعمرات في البورصة عام 1774 لانتخاب مندوبين إلى الكونجرس القاري ، المجموعة المسؤولة عن صياغة إعلان الاستقلال عن إنجلترا.

فترة ما بعد الثورة
أدى اختراع محلج القطن في عام 1793 إلى تصدير قطن تشارلستون & # 8217s وساوث كارولينا & # 8217s وعزز ازدهار الاقتصاد الذي تهيمن عليه المزارع. اعتمدت مزارع القطن على العمل بالسخرة وأصبح العبيد القوة العاملة الأساسية في المدينة كخادمات في المنازل وعمال في السوق. بحلول عام 1820 ، تضخم عدد سكان تشارلستون رقم 8217 إلى 23000 مع الأغلبية السوداء.

حرضت الدنمارك السوداء الحرة (غير العبودية) فيسي على التخطيط لثورة العبيد التي تم الكشف عنها في عام 1822 قبل التمرد. مع الهستيريا التي تلت ذلك ، قام تشارلستون البيض بتقييد أنشطة جميع السود. تم عقد المئات من السود وحتى بعض المؤيدين البيض للانتفاضة المخطط لها في & # 8220سجن قديم& # 8221. تم شنق الدنمارك Vessey في النهاية.

خلال النصف الأول من القرن التاسع عشر ، أصبح سكان جنوب كارولينا مصرينًا على حقوق الولاية مقابل سلطة الحكومة الفيدرالية. تم الحصول على أكثر من 90 ٪ من التمويل الفيدرالي من رسوم الاستيراد التي تم إنشاء مبلغ كبير منها من قبل مدينة تشارلستون الساحلية. في عام 1832 ألغت ولاية كارولينا الجنوبية قوانين التعريفة الفيدرالية. أدى هذا إلى تحرك الجنود الفيدراليين إلى حصون تشارلستون & # 8217s مثل & # 8220حصن، سومتر& # 8221 وبدأت في تحصيل التعريفات بالقوة. تم التوصل في النهاية إلى حل وسط أدى إلى تخفيض الرسوم الجمركية تدريجياً.

في غضون ذلك ، كان هناك خلاف سياسي حول استخدام وتوسيع الرق إلى مناطق أخرى. قبل الانتخابات الرئاسية عام 1860 ، انعقد المؤتمر الوطني الديمقراطي في تشارلستون. & # 8220قاعة هيبيريا& # 8221 بمثابة المقر الرئيسي لأولئك المندوبين الذين يدعمون ستيفن أ.دوغلاس لمنصب الرئيس. كان المندوبون يأملون في أن يتمكن دوغلاس من سد الفجوة بين الديمقراطيين في الشمال والجنوب بشأن قضية العبودية. تفكك المؤتمر عندما فشل المندوبون في استدعاء أغلبية الثلثين لأي مرشح. أدى الانشقاق في الحزب الديمقراطي إلى انتخاب المرشح الجمهوري أبراهام لنكولن.

فترة الحرب الأهلية الأمريكية
في 20 ديسمبر 1860 ، كان المجلس التشريعي لولاية ساوث كارولينا أول ولاية جنوبية تصوت للانفصال عن الاتحاد الفيدرالي في المقام الأول لأن أغراض أبراهام لينكولن & # 8217 اعتُبرت & # 8220معادية لاستمرار العبودية”.

في 9 يناير 1861 ، أطلق الطلاب العسكريون من الكلية العسكرية للفنون الحرة بالقلعة ، ساوث كارولينا ، الطلقات الأولى للحرب الأهلية على متن سفينة تابعة للاتحاد تدخل ميناء تشارلستون. في 12 أبريل 1961 ، أطلقت القوات الكونفدرالية في ساوث كارولينا النار على الاتحاد الذي كان يسيطر على حصن سمتر في الميناء. بعد 34 ساعة من القصف المتواصل استسلمت قوات الاتحاد حصن سمتر.

في عام 1865 ، هاجمت قوات الاتحاد المعززة تشارلستون واستولت على المدينة. بعد الهزيمة النهائية للكونفدرالية ، بقيت القوات الفيدرالية في تشارلستون أثناء إعادة بنائها من الحرب التي حطمت ازدهار تشارلستون. تم تحرير العبيد وتحسن الاقتصاد وتمتع تشارلستون بالحيوية المتجددة والالتزام بإعادة الإعمار والحفاظ والتفاني في استعادة المجتمع ومؤسسات المجتمع.

اليوم & # 8217s تشارلستون ساوث كارولينا
تتمتع تشارلستون بجانب حديث ، لكن جاذبية السياحة هي التاريخ الغني لتشارلستون بهندستها المعمارية المحفوظة ومعالمها التي ستستمتع بها كل من السكان والزوار.

اليوم ، يشير جميع تشارلستون & # 8230 الأسود والأبيض باعتزاز إلى تشارلستون كـ & # 8220المدينة المقدسة& # 8221 حيث يندمج نهرا آشلي وكوبر ليشكلوا ميناء تشارلستون في المحيط الأطلسي.


غالبًا ما يستخدم زوارنا الأخطاء الإملائية والاختصارات لتشارلستون ،
ساوث كارولينا بما في ذلك تشارلستون ، كارولينا ، إس سي ، سو كارولينا ، سو كار. المستخدمون
استخدم أيضًا Low Country أو Lowcountry لوصف تشارلستون.
تم تضمين هذه الكلمات لراحة المستخدم.

حلول للمقيمين في تشارلستون والمصطافين
الفنادق والسكن والمطاعم والمعالم السياحية والعقارات والإجازات والمعلومات السياحية


زلزال يهز تشارلستون بولاية ساوث كارولينا

تسبب زلزال وقع بالقرب من تشارلستون بولاية ساوث كارولينا في 31 أغسطس 1886 في مقتل أكثر من 100 شخص وتدمير مئات المباني. كان هذا أكبر زلزال مسجل في تاريخ جنوب شرق الولايات المتحدة.

سبق الزلزال هزات أرضية شعر بها في سامرفيل ، ساوث كارولينا ، في 27 و 28 أغسطس ، ولكن ، مع ذلك ، لم يكن أحد مستعدًا لقوة زلزال 31 أغسطس. في الساعة 9:51 مساءً ، بدأ الهادر ، وشعر به في أماكن بعيدة مثل بوسطن وشيكاغو وكوبا. لحقت أضرار بالمباني في أماكن بعيدة مثل أوهايو وألاباما. كانت تشارلستون بولاية ساوث كارولينا هي التي تلقت أكبر ضربة من الزلزال ، والذي يُعتقد أنه بلغ قوته حوالي 7.6 درجة. ولحقت أضرار جسيمة بجميع المباني في البلدة تقريبا. تشير التقديرات إلى سقوط 14000 مدخنة من الزلزال. تسبب في حرائق متعددة وتمزق خطوط المياه والآبار. تجاوز إجمالي الضرر 5.5 مليون دولار (حوالي 112 مليون دولار في أموال اليوم و # x2019).

على الرغم من عدم وجود تشققات سطحية ظاهرة نتيجة هذا الزلزال ، فقد انثنت خطوط السكك الحديدية في جميع الاتجاهات في بعض المواقع. فدان من الأرض تم تسييلها. ظل هذا الزلزال لغزا لسنوات عديدة حيث لم تكن هناك أعطال تحت الأرض معروفة لمسافة 60 ميلا في أي اتجاه. ومع ذلك ، فقد كشفت أساليب علمية وكشفية أفضل مؤخرًا عن خطأ مخفي على طول السهول الساحلية لفيرجينيا وكارولينا. ومع ذلك ، لا يزال من غير المحتمل حدوث زلزال بهذا الحجم في هذا الموقع.


تاريخ تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا - التاريخ

يعد تاريخ تشارلستون بولاية ساوث كارولينا من أطول المجتمعات وأكثرها تنوعًا في الولايات المتحدة ، ويمتد لمئات السنين من الاستيطان المادي بدءًا من عام 1670 وحتى العصر الحديث.

التأسيس والنمو الأولي

بعد استعادة تشارلز الثاني ملك إنجلترا واسكتلندا وأيرلندا (1630-1685) إلى العرش الإنجليزي بعد محمية أوليفر كرومويل ، منح أراضي كارولينا المستأجرة لثمانية من أصدقائه المخلصين ، المعروفين باسم Lords Proprietors ، في عام 1663. استغرق الأمر سبع سنوات قبل أن يتمكن اللوردات من ترتيب التسوية ، أولها كان تشارلز تاون. تم إنشاء المجتمع من قبل المستوطنين الإنجليز في عام 1670 على الضفة الغربية لنهر آشلي ، على بعد أميال قليلة شمال غرب المدينة الحالية. وسرعان ما اختاره أنتوني أشلي كوبر ، أحد مالكي اللوردات ، ليصبح "ميناءً عظيمًا" ، وهو المصير الذي حققته المدينة. بحلول عام 1680 ، نمت المستوطنة ، وانضم إليها آخرون من إنجلترا وبربادوس وفيرجينيا ، وانتقلت إلى موقع شبه الجزيرة الحالي. كانت تشارلستون ، عاصمة مستعمرة كارولينا ، مركزًا لمزيد من التوسع ونقطة أقصى الجنوب من الاستيطان الإنجليزي خلال أواخر القرن السابع عشر.

كانت المستوطنة في كثير من الأحيان عرضة للهجوم من البحر والبر. تم الجمع بين الاعتداءات الدورية من إسبانيا وفرنسا (مثل الرحلة الاستكشافية الفاشلة عام 1706 أثناء حرب الملكة آن) ، التي لا تزال تنازع مطالبات إنجلترا بالمنطقة ، مع مقاومة الأمريكيين الأصليين ، فضلاً عن غارات القراصنة. أقام مستعمرو تشارلستون جدار تحصين حول المستوطنة الصغيرة للمساعدة في الدفاع عنها. لا يزال مبنيين من Walled City ، The Powder Magazine ، حيث تم تخزين إمدادات المدينة من البارود ، والبيت الوردي ، الذي يُعتقد أنه حانة استعمارية قديمة.

وضعت خطة عام 1680 للمستوطنة الجديدة ، Grand Modell ، "نموذجًا لمدينة نظامية محددة ،" ومستقبل المجتمع المتنامي. تم تخصيص الأرض المحيطة بتقاطع شارع الاجتماع والشوارع الواسعة جانبًا لساحة مدنية. مع مرور الوقت أصبح يعرف باسم أربعة أركان القانون، في إشارة إلى مختلف أذرع القانون الحكومي والديني التي تتصدر الساحة والمدينة المتنامية. تم بناء كنيسة القديس ميخائيل الأسقفية ، وهي أقدم وأشهر كنيسة في تشارلستون ، في الزاوية الجنوبية الشرقية في عام 1752. وفي العام التالي ، تم تشييد مبنى الكابيتول للمستعمرة عبر الساحة. نظرًا لموقعها البارز داخل المدينة وهندستها المعمارية الأنيقة ، فقد أشار المبنى لمواطني وزوار تشارلستون إلى أهميته داخل المستعمرات البريطانية. اجتمعت محكمة المقاطعة في الطابق الأرضي ، واجتمع مجلس العموم النيابي وقاعة مجلس الحاكم الملكي في الطابق الثاني.

بحلول منتصف القرن الثامن عشر ، أصبحت تشارلستون مركزًا تجاريًا مزدحمًا ، ومركزًا للتجارة الأطلسية للمستعمرات الجنوبية ، وأغنى وأكبر مدينة جنوب فيلادلفيا. بحلول عام 1770 ، كان رابع أكبر ميناء في المستعمرات ، بعد بوسطن ونيويورك وفيلادلفيا فقط ، ويبلغ عدد سكانه 11000 نسمة ، أي أكثر بقليل من نصف هؤلاء العبيد. تمت زراعة الأرز والنيلي بنجاح بواسطة مزارعين مالكي العبيد في المناطق الساحلية المنخفضة المحيطة. تم تصدير تلك المتاجر والبحرية في صناعة شحن مربحة للغاية. كانت المركز الثقافي والاقتصادي للجنوب.

التنوع العرقي والديني

في حين أن المستوطنين الأوائل جاءوا في المقام الأول من إنجلترا ، إلا أن تشارلستون الاستعمارية كانت أيضًا موطنًا لمزيج من الجماعات العرقية والدينية. في العصر الاستعماري ، كانت بوسطن وماساتشوستس وتشارلستون مدنًا شقيقة ، وكان الناس ذوو الموارد يقضون الصيف في بوسطن والشتاء في تشارلستون. كان هناك قدر كبير من التجارة مع برمودا ومنطقة البحر الكاريبي ، وجاء بعض الناس للعيش في تشارلستون من هذه المناطق. هاجر الفرنسيون والاسكتلنديون والأيرلنديون والألمان إلى تطوير المدينة الساحلية ، ممثلين العديد من الطوائف البروتستانتية ، وكذلك الكاثوليكية الرومانية واليهودية. هاجر اليهود السفارديم إلى المدينة بأعداد كبيرة لدرجة أن تشارلستون كانت في نهاية المطاف موطنًا ، بحلول بداية القرن التاسع عشر وحتى حوالي عام 1830 ، أكبر وأغنى مجتمع يهودي في أمريكا الشمالية. وجودهم طويل الأمد في المجتمع. تم بناء الكنيسة الأنجليكانية الأولى ، كنيسة القديس فيليب الأسقفية ، في عام 1682 ، على الرغم من تدميرها لاحقًا بالنيران ونقلها إلى موقعها الحالي. كان العبيد يشكلون أيضًا جزءًا كبيرًا من السكان ، وكانوا نشطين في المجتمع الديني بالمدينة. ساعد أتباع تشارلستون السود الأحرار والعبيد في إنشاء كنيسة بيثيل المتحدة الميثودية القديمة في عام 1797 ، ومصلين إيمانويل إيه إم إي. تنبع الكنيسة من مجموعة دينية نظمها فقط الأمريكيون من أصل أفريقي ، أحرار وعبيد ، في عام 1791. وهي أقدم كنيسة. الكنيسة في الجنوب ، وثاني أقدم ص. الكنيسة في البلاد. افتتح أول متحف أمريكي للجمهور في 12 يناير 1773 في تشارلستون. منذ منتصف القرن الثامن عشر ، كان هناك قدر كبير من الهجرة يحدث في الجزء العلوي من كارولينا ، وبعضها يأتي من الخارج عبر تشارلستون ، ولكن الكثير منها أيضًا حركة جنوبا من فرجينيا وماريلاند وبنسلفانيا ، حتى كان سكان المناطق العليا أكبر من سكان الساحل. كان أهل تشارلستون ينظرون إلى سكان الريف على أنهم غير مهذبين من نواحٍ عديدة ، ولديهم مصالح مختلفة ، مما مهد الطريق لعدة أجيال من الصراعات بين النخبة في البلدة ونخبة تشارلستون.

الصورة أعلاه: كنيسة القديس فيليب الأسقفية

مع نمو تشارلستون ، نمت كذلك الفرص الثقافية والاجتماعية للمجتمع ، خاصة بالنسبة لنخبة التجار والمزارعين. تم بناء أول مبنى مسرحي في أمريكا في تشارلستون في عام 1736 ، ولكن تم استبداله لاحقًا بفندق بلانتر الذي يعود إلى القرن التاسع عشر حيث أقام المزارعون الأثرياء خلال موسم سباق الخيل في تشارلستون (الآن مسرح دوك ستريت ، المعروف بأحد أقدم المسارح النشطة التي تم بناؤها للأداء المسرحي في الولايات المتحدة. تشكلت مجتمعات شريفة من قبل عدة مجموعات عرقية مختلفة: جمعية ساوث كارولينا ، التي أسسها الهوغونوت الفرنسيون عام 1737 ، والجمعية الألمانية الودية ، التي تأسست عام 1766 ، وجمعية هايبرنيان ، التي أسسها المهاجرون الأيرلنديون عام 1801. تأسست جمعية مكتبة تشارلستون في عام 1748 من قبل بعض الأثرياء تشارلستون الذين يرغبون في مواكبة القضايا العلمية والفلسفية في ذلك الوقت. وساعدت هذه المجموعة أيضًا في إنشاء كلية تشارلستون في عام 1770 ، وهي أقدم كلية في ساوث كارولينا والأقدم في ولاية كارولينا الجنوبية. الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية.

الثورة الأمريكية: 1776 - 1785

مع تدهور العلاقة بين المستعمرين وإنجلترا ، أصبحت تشارلستون نقطة محورية في الثورة الأمريكية التي تلت ذلك. احتجاجًا على قانون الشاي لعام 1773 ، الذي جسد مفهوم الضرائب دون تمثيل ، صادر تشارلستون الشاي وخزنه في Exchange and Custom House. جاء ممثلون من جميع أنحاء المستعمرة إلى البورصة في عام 1774 لانتخاب مندوبين إلى الكونجرس القاري ، وهي المجموعة المسؤولة عن صياغة إعلان الاستقلال ، وأعلنت ساوث كارولينا استقلالها عن التاج على درجات البورصة. سرعان ما أصبحت أبراج الكنيسة في تشارلستون ، وخاصة كنيسة سانت مايكل ، أهدافًا للسفن الحربية البريطانية مما تسبب في قيام القوات المتمردة بطلاء الأبراج باللون الأسود لتتماشى مع سماء الليل.

كان هدفًا مرتين للهجمات البريطانية. في كل مرحلة ، افترضت الاستراتيجية البريطانية وجود قاعدة كبيرة من المؤيدين الموالين الذين سيحتشدون للملك إذا حصلوا على بعض الدعم العسكري. في 28 يونيو 1776 ، حاول الجنرال هنري كلينتون مع 2000 رجل وسرب بحري الاستيلاء على تشارلستون ، على أمل حدوث انتفاضة الموالين المتزامنة في ساوث كارولينا. بدت طريقة رخيصة لشن الحرب لكنها فشلت حيث هُزمت القوة البحرية من قبل الجيش القاري ، وتحديداً فوج كارولينا الجنوبية الثاني في فورت مولتري تحت قيادة ويليام مولتري. عندما أطلق الأسطول قذائف مدفعية ، فشلت المتفجرات في اختراق جدران الحصن غير المكتملة ، ولكن السميكة المصنوعة من خشب البالميتو. بالإضافة إلى ذلك ، لم يهاجم الموالون المحليون المدينة من الخلف كما كان يأمل البريطانيون. كان الموالون منظمون بشكل سيئ للغاية بحيث لا يمكن أن يكونوا فعالين ، ولكن حتى وقت متأخر من عام 1780 من كبار المسؤولين في لندن ، ضللهم الموالون المنفيون ، وضعوا ثقتهم في صعودهم.

عاد كلينتون عام 1780 ومعه 14000 جندي. كان الجنرال الأمريكي بنجامين لينكولن محاصرًا وسلم كامل قوته المكونة من 5400 رجل بعد قتال طويل ، وكان حصار تشارلستون أعظم هزيمة أمريكية في الحرب (انظر قسم "القائد العام" لهنري كلينتون للمزيد). نجا العديد من الأمريكيين من المذبحة ، وانضموا إلى العديد من الميليشيات ، بما في ذلك تلك التابعة لفرانسيس ماريون ، و "سوامبفوكس" ، وأندرو بيكنز. استخدمت هذه الميليشيات تكتيكات الكر والفر. في النهاية ، عاد كلينتون إلى نيويورك ، تاركًا تشارلز كورنواليس مع 8000 من المعاطف الحمراء لحشد الموالين ، وبناء الحصون في جميع أنحاء الولاية ، والمطالبة بقسم الولاء للملك. تم الاستيلاء على العديد من هذه الحصون من قبل ميليشيات حرب العصابات التي فاقت عددها. احتفظ البريطانيون بالسيطرة على المدينة حتى ديسمبر 1782. بعد مغادرة البريطانيين ، تم تغيير اسم المدينة رسميًا إلى تشارلستون في عام 1783.

ما قبل الحرب: 1785 - 1861

التجارة والتوسع

By 1788, Carolinians were meeting at the Capitol building for the Constitutional Ratification Convention, and while there was support for the Federal Government, division arose over the location of the new State Capital. A suspicious fire broke out in the Capitol building during the Convention, after which the delegates removed to the Exchange and decreed Columbia the new state capital. By 1792, the Capitol had been rebuilt and became the Charleston County Courthouse. Upon its completion, the city possessed all the public buildings necessary to be transformed from a colonial capital to the center of the antebellum South. The grandeur and number of buildings erected in the following century reflect the optimism, pride, and civic destiny that many Charlestonians felt for their community.

Charleston became more prosperous in the plantation-dominated economy of the post-Revolutionary years. The invention of the cotton gin in 1793 revolutionized this crop’s production, and it quickly became South Carolina’s major export. Cotton plantations relied heavily on slave labor. Slaves were also the primary labor force within the city, working as domestics, artisans, market workers or laborers. Many black Charlestonians spoke Gullah, a language based on African American structures which combined African, French, German, Jamaican, English, Bahamian and Dutch words. In 1807 the Charleston Market was founded. It soon became a hub for the African-American community, with many slaves and free people of color staffing stalls.

Photo Above : City Market, now occupied by the Daughters of the Confederacy.

By 1820 Charleston’s population had grown to 23,000, with a black majority. When a massive slave revolt planned by Denmark Vesey, a free black, was discovered in 1822, such hysteria ensued amidst white Charlestonians and Carolinians that the activities of free blacks and slaves were severely restricted. Hundreds of blacks, free and slave, and some white supporters involved in the planned uprising were held in the Old Jail. It also was the impetus for the construction of a new State Arsenal in Charleston. Recently, research published by historian Michael P. Johnson of Johns Hopkins University has cast doubt on the veracity of the accounts detailing Vesey’s aborted slave revolt.

Photo Above : List of exports to Europe from Charleston, 1787

As Charleston’s government, society and industry grew, commercial institutions were established to support the community’s aspirations. The Bank of South Carolina, the second oldest building constructed as a bank in the nation, was established here in 1798. Branches of the First and Second Bank of the United States were also located in Charleston in 1800 and 1817. While the First Bank was converted to City Hall by 1818, the Second Bank proved to be a vital part of the community as it was the only bank in the city equipped to handle the international transactions so crucial to the export trade. By 1840, the Market Hall and Sheds, where fresh meat and produce were brought daily, became the commercial hub of the city. The slave trade also depended on the port of Charleston, where ships could be unloaded and the slaves sold at markets. Contrary to popular belief, slaves were never traded at the Market Hall areas.

Political changes

In the first half of the 19th century, South Carolinians became more devoted to the idea that state’s rights were superior to the Federal government’s authority. Buildings such as the Marine Hospital ignited controversy over the degree in which the Federal government should be involved in South Carolina’s government, society, and commerce. During this period over 90 percent of Federal funding was generated from import duties, collected by custom houses such as the one in Charleston. In 1832 South Carolina passed an ordinance of nullification, a procedure in which a state could in effect repeal a Federal law, directed against the most recent tariff acts. Soon Federal soldiers were dispensed to Charleston’s forts and began to collect tariffs by force. A compromise was reached by which the tariffs would be gradually reduced, but the underlying argument over state’s rights would continue to escalate in the coming decades. Charleston remained one of the busiest port cities in the country, and the construction of a new, larger United States Custom House began in 1849, but its construction was interrupted by the events of the Civil War.

Prior to the 1860 election, the National Democratic Convention convened in Charleston. Hibernian Hall served as the headquarters for the delegates supporting Stephen A. Douglas, who it was hoped would bridge the gap between the northern and southern delegates on the issue of extending slavery to the territories. The convention disintegrated when delegates were unable to summon a two-thirds majority for any candidate. This divisiveness resulted in a split in the Democratic Party, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Republican candidate.

Civil War: 1861 – 1865

On December 20, 1860, the South Carolina General Assembly made the state the first to ever secede from the Union. On January 9, 1861, Citadel cadets fired the first shots of the American Civil War when they opened fire on the Union ship Star of the West entering Charleston’s harbor. On April 12, 1861, shore batteries under the command of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard opened fire on the Union-held Fort Sumter in the harbor. After a 34-hour bombardment, Major Robert Anderson surrendered the fort. Officers and cadets from The Citadel were assigned to various Confederate batteries during the bombardment of Fort Sumter. Although The Citadel continued to operate as an academy during the Civil War, cadets were made a part of the South Carolina military department along with the cadets from the Arsenal Academy in Columbia, to form the Battalion of State Cadets. Cadets from both institutions continued to aid the Confederate army by helping drill recruits, manufacture ammunition, protect arms depots, and guard Union prisoners.

In December 1864 Citadel and Arsenal cadets were ordered to join Confederate forces at Tullifinny Creek, South Carolina where they engaged in pitched battles with advancing units of General W. T. Sherman‘s army, suffering eight casualties.

Photo Above : The ruins of Mills House and nearby buildings in Charleston, with a shell-damaged carriage and the remains of a brick chimney in the foreground. 1865.

In all, The Citadel Corps of Cadets earned eight battle streamers and one service streamer for its service to South Carolina during the War. The city under siege took control of Fort Sumter, became the center for blockade running, and was the site of the first successful submarine warfare on February 17, 1864 when the H.L. Hunley made a daring night attack on the USS Housatonic. In 1865, Union troops moved into the city, and took control of many sites, such as the United States Arsenal, which the Confederate army had seized at the outbreak of the war. The War department also confiscated the grounds and buildings of the Citadel Military Academy, which was used as a federal garrison for over 17 years, until its return to the state and reopening as a military college in 1882 under the direction of Lawrence E. Marichak.

Photo Above : Ruins seen from the Circular Church, Charleston, South Carolina, 1865.

Postbellum: 1865 – 1945

إعادة الإعمار

After the defeat of the Confederacy, Federal forces remained in Charleston during the city’s reconstruction. The war had shattered the prosperity of the antebellum city. Freed slaves were faced with poverty and discrimination. Industries slowly brought the city and its inhabitants back to a renewed vitality and growth in population. As the city’s commerce improved, Charlestonians also worked to restore their community institutions.

King Street circa 1910-1920

In 1867 Charleston’s first free secondary school for blacks was established, the Avery Institute. General William T. Sherman lent his support to the conversion of the United States Arsenal into the Porter Military Academy, an educational facility for former soldiers and boys left orphaned or destitute by the war. Porter Military Academy later joined with Gaud School and is now a K-12 prep school, Porter-Gaud School. The William Enston Homes, a planned community for the city’s aged and infirmed, was built in 1889. J. Taylor Pearson, a freed slave, designed the Homes, and passed peacefully in them after years as the maintenance manager post-reconstruction. An elaborate public building, the United States Post Office and Courthouse, was completed in 1896 and signaled renewed life in the heart of the city.

Photo Above: Confederate Memorial at White Point Gardens.

1886 Earthquake

On August 31, 1886, Charleston was nearly destroyed by an earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale. Major damage was reported as far away as Tybee Island, Georgia (over 60 miles away) and structural damage was reported several hundred miles from Charleston (including central Alabama, central Ohio, eastern Kentucky, southern Virginia, and western West Virginia). It was felt as far away as Boston to the north, Chicago and Milwaukee to the northwest, as far west as New Orleans, as far south as Cuba, and as far east as Bermuda. It damaged 2,000 buildings in Charleston and caused $6 million worth of damage ($133 million(2006 USD)), while in the whole city the buildings were only valued at approximately $24 million($531 million(2006 USD).

Modern-day: 1945 – present

Hurricane Hugo

Much of Charleston was devastated by Hurricane Hugo

Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston in 1989, and though the worst damage was in nearby McClellanville, the storm damaged three-quarters of the homes in Charleston’s historic district. The hurricane caused over $2.8 billion in damage.

Joe Riley era

Since his election as mayor in 1975, Joe Riley has been the major proponent of reviving Charleston’s economic and cultural heritage. The last thirty years of the 20th century saw major new reinvestment in the city, with a number of municipal improvements and a commitment to historic preservation. These commitments were not slowed down by Hurricane Hugo and continue to this day.

Charleston is a major tourist destination, with a considerable number of luxury hotels, hotel chains, inns, and bed and breakfasts and a large number of award-winning restaurants and quality shopping. The city is well-known for its streets lined with grand live oaks draped with Spanish moss, and the ubiquity of the Cabbage Palmetto, which is the state tree of South Carolina. Along the waterfront in an area known as Rainbow Row are many beautiful and historic pastel-colored homes. The city is also an important port, boasting the second largest container seaport on the East Coast and the fourth largest container seaport in North America. Charleston is becoming a prime location for information technology jobs and corporations, most notably Boeing, Google, Amazon, Blackbaud, Modulant, CSS and Benefitfocus.

Charleston is also an important art destination, named a top 25 arts destination by AmericanStyle magazine.

Charleston is the primary medical center for the eastern portion of the state. The city has several major hospitals located in the downtown area alone: Medical University of South Carolina Medical Center (MUSC), Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center, and Roper Hospital. MUSC is the state’s first school of medicine, the largest medical university in the state, and the sixth oldest continually operating school of medicine in the United States. The downtown medical district is experiencing rapid growth of biotechnology and medical research industries coupled with substantial expansions of all the major hospitals. Additionally, more expansions are planned or underway at several other major hospitals located in other portions of the city and the metropolitan area: Bon Secours-St Francis Xavier Hospital, Trident Medical Center, and East Cooper Regional Medical Center.


One of the Earliest Memorial Day Ceremonies Was Held by Freed African Americans

Memorial Day was born out of necessity. After the American Civil War, a battered United States was faced with the task of burying and honoring the 600,000 to 800,000 Union and Confederate soldiers who had died in the single bloodiest military conflict in American history. The first national commemoration of Memorial Day was held in Arlington National Cemetery on May 30, 1868, where both Union and Confederate soldiers are buried.

Several towns and cities across America claim to have observed their own earlier versions of Memorial Day or �oration Day” as early as 1866. (The earlier name is derived from the fact that decorating graves was and remains a central activity of Memorial Day.) But it wasn’t until a remarkable discovery in a dusty Harvard University archive the late 1990s that historians learned about a Memorial Day commemoration organized by a group of Black people freed from enslavement less than a month after the Confederacy surrendered in 1865.

Back in 1996, David Blight, a professor of American History at Yale University, was researching a book on the Civil War when he had one of those once-in-a-career eureka moments. A curator at Harvard’s Houghton Library asked if he wanted to look through two boxes of unsorted material from Union veterans.

“There was a file labeled 𠆏irst Decoration Day,’” remembers Blight, still amazed at his good fortune. 𠇊nd inside on a piece of cardboard was a narrative handwritten by an old veteran, plus a date referencing an article in ال نيويورك تريبيون. That narrative told the essence of the story that I ended up telling in my book, of this march on the race track in 1865.”

The clubhouse at the Charleston racetrack where the 1865 Memorial Day events took place.

The race track in question was the Washington Race Course and Jockey Club in Charleston, South Carolina. In the late stages of the Civil War, the Confederate army transformed the formerly posh country club into a makeshift prison for Union captives. More than 260 Union soldiers died from disease and exposure while being held in the race track’s open-air infield. Their bodies were hastily buried in a mass grave behind the grandstands.

When Charleston fell and Confederate troops evacuated the badly damaged city, those freed from enslavement remained. One of the first things those emancipated men and women did was to give the fallen Union prisoners a proper burial. They exhumed the mass grave and reinterred the bodies in a new cemetery with a tall whitewashed fence inscribed with the words: “Martyrs of the Race Course.”

And then on May 1, 1865, something even more extraordinary happened. According to two reports that Blight found in نيويورك تريبيون و تشارلستون كوريير, a crowd of 10,000 people, mostly freed slaves with some white missionaries, staged a parade around the race track. Three thousand Black schoolchildren carried bouquets of flowers and sang “John Brown’s Body.” Members of the famed 54th Massachusetts and other Black Union regiments were in attendance and performed double-time marches. Black ministers recited verses from the Bible.

The Battle of Fort Wagner on Morris Island was the Union attack on July 18, 1863, led by the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. The infantry was one of the first major American military units made up of Black soldiers. 

If the news reports are accurate, the 1865 gathering at the Charleston race track would be the earliest Memorial Day commemoration on record. Blight excitedly called the Avery Institute of Afro-American History and Culture at the College of Charleston, looking for more information on the historic event.

But it was clear from the newspaper reports that a Memorial Day observance was organized by freed slaves in Charleston at least a year before other U.S. cities and three years before the first national observance. How had been lost to history for over a century?

“This was a story that had really been suppressed both in the local memory and certainly the national memory,” says Blight. 𠇋ut nobody who had witnessed it could ever have forgotten it.”

Blight kept digging for more information, but the only other mention he found of the race track event was in a 1916 correspondence sent from a women’s Civil War historical society in New Orleans to its sister chapter in Charleston, asking about a big parade of freed slaves on a horse track at the end of the war.

“I regret that I was unable to gather any official information in answer to this,” wrote the Charleston society’s president.

“That’s such a telling statement,” says Blight. “The woman who wrote that letter may not have known about it, but the fact that she didn’t tells the story.”

A sketch of the Union Soldiers cemetery, reading the "Martyrs of the Race course," in Charleston, South Carolina.

Once the war was over and Charleston was rebuilt in the 1880s, the city’s white residents likely had little interest in remembering an event held by former enslaved people to celebrate the Union dead. “That didn’t fit their version of what the war was all about,” says Blight.

In time, the old horse track and country club were torn down, and thanks to a gift from a wealthy Northern patron, the Union soldiers&apos graves were moved from the humble white-fenced graveyard in Charleston to the Beaufort National Cemetery. By the time Blight was rummaging through the Harvard archives in 1996, the story of the first Memorial Day had been entirely forgotten.

After his book العرق ولم الشمل was published in 2001, Blight gave a talk about Memorial Day at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, and after it was finished, an older Black woman approached him.

“You mean that story is true?” the woman asked Blight. “I grew up in Charleston, and my granddaddy used to tell us this story of a parade at the old race track, and we never knew whether to believe him or not. You mean that’s true?”

For Blight, it’s less important whether the 1865 commemoration of the “Martyrs of the Race Course” is officially recognized as the first Memorial Day.

“It’s the fact that this occurred in Charleston at a cemetery site for the Union dead in a city where the Civil war had begun,” says Blight, 𠇊nd that it was organized and done਋y African American former slaves is what gives it such poignancy.”


Charleston Community History

The Pineapple Fountain located in Charleston Waterfront Park.

After Charles II was restored to the English throne, he granted the chartered Carolina territory to eight of his loyal friends, known as the Lord Proprietors, in 1663. It took seven years before the Lords could arrange for settlement, the first being that of Charles Town. The community named for the King Charles I was established by English settlers in 1670 across the Ashley River from the city's current location. It was soon chosen by Anthony Ashley-Cooper, one of the Lord Proprietors, to become a "great port towne," a destiny which the city fulfilled. By 1680, the settlement had grown, joined by others from England, Barbados, and Virginia, and relocated to its current peninsular location. The capital of the Carolina colony, Charleston was the center for further expansion and the southernmost point of English settlement during the late 1600s.

The settlement was often subject to attack from sea and from land. Periodic assaults from Spain and France, who still contested England's claims to the region, were combined with resistance from American Indians as well as pirate raids. Charleston's colonists erected a fortification wall around the small settlement to aid in its defense. The only building to remain from the Walled City is the Powder Magazine, where the city's supply of gun powder was stored.

A 1680 plan for the new settlement, the Grand Modell, laid out "the model of an exact regular town," and the future for the growing community. Land surrounding the intersection of Meeting and Broad Streets was set aside for a Civic Square. Over time it became known as the Four Corners of the Law, referring to the various arms of governmental and religious law presiding over the square and the growing city. St. Michael’s Episcopal, Charleston's oldest and most noted church, was built on the southeast corner in 1752. The following year the Capitol of the colony was erected across the square. Because of its prominent position within the city and its elegant architecture, the building signaled to Charleston's citizens and visitors its importance within the British colonies. Provincial court met on the ground floor, the Commons House of Assembly and the Royal Governor's Council Chamber met on the second floor.

While the earliest settlers primarily came from England, colonial Charleston was also home to a mixture of ethnic and religious groups. French, Scottish, Irish and Germans migrated to the developing seacoast town, representing numerous Protestant denominations, as well as Catholicism and Judaism. Sephardic Jews (of Spanish and Portuguese ancestry) migrated to the city in such numbers that Charleston became one of the largest Jewish communities in North America. The Jewish Coming Street Cemetery, first established in 1762, attests to their long standing presence in the community. The first Anglican church, St. Philip’s Episcopal, was built in 1682, although later destroyed by fire and relocated to its current location. Enslaved people also comprised a major portion of the population, and were active in the city's religious community. Both free black and enslaved Charlestonians helped establish the Old Bethel United Methodist Church in 1797, and the congregation of the Emanuel A.M.E. Church stems from a religious group organized solely by African Americans, free and enslaved, in 1791.

By the mid-18th century Charleston had become a bustling trade center, and the wealthiest and largest city south of Philadelphia. Rice and indigo had been successfully cultivated by gentleman planters in the surrounding coastal lowcountry, while merchants profited from the successful shipping industry. As the relationship between the colonists and England deteriorated, Charleston became a focal point in the ensuing Revolution. In protest of the Tea Act of 1773, which embodied the concept of "taxation without representation," Charlestonians confiscated tea and stored it in the Exchange and Customs House. Representatives from all over the colony came to the Exchange in 1774 to elect delegates to the Continental Congress, the group responsible for drafting the Declaration of Independence and South Carolina declared its independence from the crown on the steps of the Exchange.

Soon, the church steeples of Charleston, especially St. Michael's, became targets for British war ships. A siege on the city in 1776 was successfully defended by William Moultrie from Sullivan's Island, but by 1780 Charleston came under British control for two and a half years. After the British retreated in December 1782, the city's name was officially changed to Charleston.

By 1788, Carolinians were meeting at the Capitol building for the Constitutional Ratification Convention, and while there was support for the Federal Government, division arose over the location of the new State Capital. A suspicious fire broke out in the Capitol building during the Convention, after which the delegates removed to the Exchange and decreed Columbia the new State Capital. By 1792, the Capitol had been rebuilt and became the Charleston County Courthouse. Upon its completion, the city possessed all the public buildings necessary to be transformed from a colonial capital to the center of the antebellum South. But the grandeur and number of buildings erected in the following century reflect the optimism, pride, and civic destiny that many Charlestonians felt for their community.

As Charleston grew, so did the community's cultural and social opportunities, especially for the elite merchants and planters. The first theater building in America was built in Charleston in 1736, but was later replaced by the 19th-century Planter's Hotel where wealthy planters stayed during Charleston's horse-racing season (now the Dock Street Theatre). Benevolent societies were formed by several different ethnic groups: the South Carolina Society, founded by French Huguenots in 1737 the German Friendly Society, founded in 1766 and the Hibernian Society, founded by Irish immigrants in 1801. The Charleston Library Society was established in 1748 by some wealthy Charlestonians who wished to keep up with the scientific and philosophical issues of the day. This group also helped establish the College of Charleston in 1770, the oldest college in South Carolina and the 13th college in the United States.

Charleston became more prosperous in the plantation dominated economy of the post-Revolutionary years. The invention of the cotton gin in 1793 revolutionized this crop's production, and it quickly became South Carolina's major export. Cotton plantations relied heavily on the forced labor of enslaved Africans. Enslaved men, women, and children were also the primary labor force within the city, working as domestics, artisans, market workers or laborers. Many black Charlestonians spoke Gullah, a dialect based on African American structures which combined African, Portuguese, and English words.

By 1820 Charleston's population had grown to 23,000, with a black majority. When Denmark Vesey’s planned uprising of enslaved people was discovered in 1822, hysteria ensued amidst white Charlestonians. As a result, the activities of free and enslaved blacks were severely restricted. Hundreds of African Americans and some white supporters involved in the planned uprising were held in the Old Jail. It was also the impetus for the construction of a new State Arsenal in Charleston.

As Charleston's government, society and industry grew, commercial institutions were established to support the community's aspirations. The Bank of South Carolina, the second oldest building constructed as a bank in the nation, was established here in 1798. Branches of the First and Second Bank of the United States were also located in Charleston in 1800 and 1817. While the First Bank was converted to City Hall by 1818, the Second Bank proved to be a vital part of the community as it was the only bank in the city equipped to handle the international transactions so crucial to the export trade. By 1840, the Market Hall and Sheds, where fresh meat and produce were brought daily, became the commercial hub of the city. The slave trade also depended on the port of Charleston, where ships could be unloaded and enslaved people sold at markets.

In the first half of the 19th century, South Carolinians became more devoted to the idea that state's rights were superior to the Federal government's authority. Buildings such as the Marine Hospital ignited controversy over the degree in which the Federal government should be involved in South Carolina's government, society, and commerce. During this period over 90 percent of Federal funding was generated from import duties, collected by custom houses such as the one in Charleston. In 1832 South Carolina passed an ordinance of nullification, a procedure in which a state could in effect repeal a Federal law, directed against the most recent tariff acts. Soon Federal soldiers were dispensed to Charleston's forts and began to collect tariffs by force. A compromise was reached by which the tariffs would be gradually reduced, but the underlying argument over state's rights would continue to escalate in the coming decades. Charleston remained one of the busiest port cities in the country, and the construction of a new, larger United States Custom House began in 1849, but its construction was interrupted by the events of the Civil War.

In 1860, the National Democratic Convention convened in Charleston. Hibernian Hall served as the headquarters for the delegates supporting Stephen A. Douglas, who it was hoped would bridge the gap between the northern and southern delegates on the issue of extending slavery to the territories. The convention disintegrated when delegates were unable to summon a two-thirds majority for any candidate. This divisiveness resulted in a split in the Democratic party, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Republican candidate. On December 20, 1860, the South Carolina legislature was the first state to vote for secession from the Union. They asserted that one of the causes was the election to the presidency of a man "whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery."

On January 9, 1861, Citadel cadets fired the first shots of the Civil War when they opened fire on a Union ship entering Charleston's harbor. April 2, 1861, shore batteries under the command of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard opened fire on the Union-held Fort Sumter in the harbor. After a 34-hour bombardment, Major Robert Anderson surrendered the fort. Cadets from the Citadel, South Carolina's liberal arts military college, continued to aid the Confederate army by helping drill recruits, manufacture ammunition, protect arms depots, and guard Union prisoners. The city under siege took control of Fort Sumter, became the center for blockade running, and was the site of the first submarine warfare in 1863. In 1865, Union troops moved into the city, and took control of many sites, such as the United States Arsenal which the Confederate army had seized at the outbreak of the war.

After the eventual defeat of the Confederacy, Federal forces remained in Charleston during the city's reconstruction. The war had hindered the prosperity of the antebellum city, yet it freed all those African Americans forcibly held in bondage. While many newly freed people struggled with poverty and discrimination due to racist attitudes of white residents, African Americans faced a future free from the physical and mental abuse of their enslavers.

Industries slowly brought the city and its inhabitants back to a renewed vitality and growth in population. As the city's commerce improved, Charlestonians also worked to restore their community institutions. In 1867 Charleston's first free secondary school for blacks was established, the Avery Institute. General William T. Sherman lent his support to the conversion of the United States Arsenal into the Porter Military Academy, an educational facility for former soldiers and boys left orphaned or destitute by the war. The William Enston Home, a planned community for the city's aged and infirm, was built in 1889. An elaborate public building, the United States Post Office and Courthouse, was completed in 1896 and signaled renewed life in the heart of the city.

In 1886 Charleston was nearly destroyed by a major earthquake that was felt as far away as Boston and Bermuda. Few buildings escaped damage. Coupled with fires, hurricanes, tornados, several wars, and urban renewal in the 20th century, it is extraordinary how many of Charleston's historic buildings remain. Today the city's community buildings help to make Charleston one of the most complete historic districts in the country, with more than 1400 historically significant buildings.


History of Charleston, South Carolina - History

Richard Furman was pastor at First Baptist and was instrumental in the building of the current sanctuary designed by Robert Mills. This painting was donated by The Belser Family (Furman's descendants) on the 330th Anniversary Sunday (September 30, 2012).

The annual Easter Sunrise service at the Battery began in 1997. Over 500 people (tourists and residents) attend this meaningful service celebrating the resurrection of Christ.

Richard Furman was pastor at First Baptist and was instrumental in the building of the current sanctuary designed by Robert Mills. This painting was donated by The Belser Family (Furman's descendants) on the 330th Anniversary Sunday (September 30, 2012).

First Baptist Church, Charleston, the earliest Baptist church in the South was organized on September 25, 1682 in Kittery, Maine, under the sponsorship of the First Baptist Church of Boston. Late in 1696, the pastor William Screven, and 28 members of the Kittery congregation immigrated to Charleston, SC.

Often we are asked about marriages or burials. Unfortunately, due to several events of natural disaster, the only records we have available are included in the list above. You may wish to visit the South Carolina Historical Society at 100 Meeting Street (Fireproof Building) for more research assistance.


شاهد الفيديو: Чарлстон. АМЕРИКА. БОЛЬШОЕ ПУТЕШЕСТВИЕ. 33